Saturday, June 25, 2016

Review of milk and honey

This week, I read the book milk and honey by the writer and artist Rupi Kaur. This book is an excellent piece from both a literary standpoint and from a feminist point of view. That's why I loved this book.

The book consists of poems written and illustrated by the author. The poems are broken up into four sections entitled "the hurting," "the loving," "the breaking," and "the healing." The book takes the reader on a journey through the narrator's struggle with physical and emotional abuse, navigating her first romantic relationship after this abuse, losing love and healing after this love is lost. I will warn you though, some of the poems can be quite upsetting and may be triggers if you have suffered from sexual assault or abuse. But overall, I think the book is definitely worth a read.

The following are a few of my favorite poems from various sections of the book to whet your appetite :)

 
 

 
 
The writing is raw and sometimes hard to handle. But it is a refreshing take on reclaiming your body and your femininity. The poems are short and it is a quick read. I hope that anyone who reads it enjoys the book as much as I did!
 
If any of you have read the book, comment with your opinions below. Also, feel free to comment any other book suggestions for us to read and review.


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment