Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sometimes I wonder

Sometimes I wonder,
What it would be like to be a boy.
And not because of the whole peeing while standing up thing,
Or the fact that I wouldn't need to get up an hour earlier
To straighten my hair
And paint my face on.
But mostly, I wonder at night.
I can't imagine what it would be like,
To be walking alone across campus, heading to a friend's house,
At 9:30 in the dark,
And not be nervous.
Not be clutching my bag,
Quickening my step,
Eyeing who is walking next to me.
To not count my drinks once I get to my friend's,
To not be embarrassed when I ask for a guy I trust to walk me home,
So I'm not alone past midnight.
It seems crazy to me.
To just walk and wander and not worry,
About who may be following you,
If your purse looks appealing to a thief,
If your shorts will draw the wrong kind of attention this time of day.

It must be nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment